Diagnosis is made by a Doctor based on your history, symptoms, a physical examination, and results of tests, including the following:
- X-ray: Application of radiation to produce a film or picture of a part of the body can show the structure of the vertebrae and the outline of the joints. X-rays of the spine are obtained to search for other potential causes of pain, i.e. tumors, infections, fractures, etc.
- Computed tomography scan (CT or CAT scan): A diagnostic image created after a computer reads x-rays; can show the shape and size of the spinal canal, its contents, and the structures around it.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): A diagnostic test that produces three-dimensional images of body structures using powerful magnets and computer technology; can show the spinal cord, nerve roots, and surrounding areas, as well as enlargement, degeneration, and tumours.
- Myelogram: An x-ray of the spinal canal following injection of a contrast material into the surrounding cerebrospinal fluid spaces; can show pressure on the spinal cord or nerves due to herniated discs, bone spurs or tumours.
- Electromyogram and Nerve Conduction Studies (EMG/NCS): These tests measure the electrical impulse along nerve roots, peripheral nerves, and muscle tissue. This will indicate whether there is ongoing nerve damage if the nerves are in a state of healing from a past injury, or whether there is another site of nerve compression.
Ayurveda categorized Slip disc as one of the diseases caused by vitiation Vata (one of the principle dosha in the body, responsible for the movement and functionality of the body). Treatment in Ayurveda is aimed at restoring the equilibrium through correction of the underlying functional in-equilibrium. Ayurvedic treatments for Slip disc concentrate on bringing back the aggravated vata to the state of equilibrium and thereby to the state of health.
At Bhagwati Ayurveda, we are providing very effective and most successful treatment for Slip disc or herniated disc. With our vast experience in treating Spine related conditions, today we are successfully dealing even post-surgical recurrence cases.
The treatment comprises of Detoxification and rejuvenation through Ayurvedic Panchakarma therapy, administration of researched medicines internally.
The therapies like Abhyanga swedam, Nasyam, Pathrapotala swedam, Choornapinda swedam, Pizhichil, Shirodhara, Kadeevasthy, Greevavasthy, Navarakizhi, Vasti etc. are done as per the necessity and condition. These therapies are directed towards relieving the inflammatory changes, releasing the spasms and nerve compressions in the affected area, strengthening the supportive tissues holding the spine, nourishing the joints by improving the circulation. Usually, the treatment period is 4 – 5 weeks according to the severity of the disease.
In four to six weeks, the majority of patients find their symptoms are relieved, without surgery. If patient can come for the treatment in early stages, even total cure without recurrence is also possible.